Is Grad School Right For You?



I wanted to do a few posts on grad school applications and the process because that was something I had to navigate myself on my own last year with very little guidance. This seemed like the best place for me to start because there's a lot of uncertainty with choosing an advanced degree over working in the industry. I am in STEM, so most of my advice will be geared towards that, however if you are in the humanities I hope some of what I say is still applicable. 

My number one advice is if you aren't 100 percent sure grad school is what you want, don't do it. You will always have the opportunity to pursue a graduate degree when it is the right time for you. Not everyone benefits from going right away, and not everyone benefits from graduate school. That being said, there are some people on the cusp and need a gentle push one way or the other. I was that way, and these were some things that I found helpful to think about. 


1) What is my endgame? 
I've always loved the idea of having my own research lab and teaching at a university. This is my endgame and is what I am currently working towards. I am completely aware that once I start actually teaching or TAing that might change, but this is a career that requires a doctorate and it made sense for me to go to grad school. There are some careers in industry that do and don't require graduate degrees. And even if they do require a graduate degree, you may not need a doctorate. Do some research on your endgame career and what qualifications you will need, it might be less than you think. 

2) Is the timing right?
I went back and forth between taking time off to work in industry and going in to grad school right after my bachelors. Ultimately, I decided to go straight into it because I remember most of my schooling and have the ability to work the long hours and put in the time necessary for a research based thesis. A fear that I had was that I would take time off and never feel the motivation to go back to school to get my doctorate degree. That fear coupled with the fact that I believe I will never be more prepared than I am right now lead me to my choice. But if you are feeling burnt out, or if you think another couple of years in research before doing a program will help you in the long run, choose to take the time off.

3) Can I afford it right now?
Most STEM doctoral programs will give you a stipend, however many master's programs will not. Even if you get a stipend, you'll be working long hours for very little money and you (usually) won't be able to have an outside job. This question played very little into my decision making because I am single and don't have to pay for anyone except myself, but if you're in a different circumstance, this may play a larger role. 

4) Am I in it for the right reasons?
I love research. I love the work that I do, I think it is important, I see the larger implications, and I know that the research I do is changing the world even if no one else recognizes that. If you are going to grad school for any reason other than pure desire and motivation on your end, you're not going to have a good time. You shouldn't go because your parents want you to, or you don't have a job lined up and you think this is the next best thing. You shouldn't go if you aren't 100 percent committed because it'll be hard, and it'll be frustrating, and unless you have that intrinsic motivation you'll find it difficult to push through the natural highs and lows that come with any research based work. 

Only you know the right choice, and you have to trust yourself to make the right one. All this being said, the great news is that it's not permanent! You're not signing away your soul for eternity. If you decide you don't want your doctorate, you can master out! If you decide you don't like it at all, you can drop out and re-enroll later down the line if you decide you want it then. If you have any other questions about the process, let me know. The next post in the series will be all about the GRE!

x, S

Comments

Popular Posts